The Friends of Fort Macon, an all volunteer tax exempt organization currently with over 1000 members, have as their mission the support of the Fort through the following activities by:
- Providing guides for the Fort and Nature tour programs.
- Assisting in celebrations and special events held in the park.
- Procuring enough cannon to make the ramparts of the Fort resemble their appearance in 1862.
- Restoration of the Kitchen Facilities including: Bakehouse in Casemate 12, Commissary Storeroom in Casemate 24 and the Kitchen in Casemate 23. (Completed in 2003).
- Assisting in the development and construction of additional educational exhibits.
- Providing information about the Fort through newsletters and the Internet.